In my last post, I mentioned that I had been suffering with some pretty bad PMT due to a long delay in my period. In order to resolve the problem I turned back to a herbal medicine I have used in the past – Agnus Castus (also known as Vitex and Chaste Tree Berry).
Agnus Castus can be a useful natural treatment for PCOS and has been used to help regulate female hormones for centuries.
It can lengthen the menstrual cycle in women who are experiencing menstruation too often, but shorten it in women who are not experiencing it often enough. This is due to it raising production of the luteinizing hormone (LH), while decreasing the follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). This in turn increases Progesterone levels.
In simple terms, that means a better ratio of oestrogen to progesterone and so a more natural cycle.
The Benefits of Agnus Castus
Studies into Agnus Castus have shown it can:
- increase fertility (due to the increase in progesterone during the 2nd half of the cycle)
- reduce PMT/PMS (water weight, bloating, irritability, fatigue, cramps and headaches)
- reduce acne and excess hair by neutralizing excess testosterone
- reduce the health risks of excess oestrogen, such as breast cancer and obesity
Risks and Side Effects of Agnus Castus
In general, Agnus Castus has been proven to have very few side effects and can be taken consistently for long periods of time (18 months is the recommended max).
However, due to the way it alters your hormone levels, you should avoid taking it:
- as soon as you think you might be pregnant
- if you are on the Birth Control Pill or Hormone Replacement Therapy
- if you are taking a dopamine agonist (used for treating Parkinson’s disease, Restless Leg Syndrome and some pituitary tumors)
What Else Should I Know About Agnus Castus?
To really see the benefits of Agnus Castus you should continue taking it for at least a month to start to see the benefits and 6 months to really see it take full effect.
I prefer to take a tincture rather than capsules and stick to the recommended dosage (usually 20-30 drops in a little water first thing in the morning).
If you are concerned about taking Agnus Castus then consult a qualified herbalist or natural health professional for more information and recommended dosages. This blog post is not designed to be a substitute for professional medical advice.
Try Agnus Castus (Chaste Tree Berry) Tincture from Herbal Remedies
Ingredients: Certified Organic Chaste Tree Berry (Vitex angus-castus) Herb Strength Ratio 1:3.
Related PCOS posts:
- Benefits of Drinking Hot Water and Lemon One of the aspects of the 30 Day Detox (and...
- What is PCOS? PCOS – or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome – is a disorder...
- PCOS and Depression A number of people have asked me how things have...
- How Did I Get PCOS and What is it? PCOS is believed to be genetic. While, it is important...
- Green Tea and Weight Loss Green tea has been used for centuries and still remains...